Joanna M. Wald
Ms. Wald is a partner at De Ita, Lowe & Wald, LLP. Ms. Wald’s practice is dedicated to both family law and worker’s compensation. Ms. Wald handles all aspects of family law matters, including complex divorce settlement negotiations, spousal and child support matters and domestic violence. Ms. Wald’s workers compensation practice focuses on taking on insurance companies on behalf of injured workers, including representation at the Workers Compensation Board of Appeals.
Ms. Wald is proficient in Spanish. She currently serves as the Barristers Section immediate past President, Chair of the Diversity Committee, and Board Member of the Women Lawyers Educational Foundational. Ms. Wald enjoys her time as a volunteer for San Mateo Superior Court’s weekly Family Law Status Conference calendar and San Mateo County Lawyers in The Library.
Ms. Wald earned a Juris Doctorate from San Francisco Law School in 2014, where she was awarded student of the year from 2011 through 2013. She was recognized with a Witkin Award in Civil Procedure in 2012. Ms. Wald was awarded best overall scores in Tyler Moot Court in 2013.
Prior to her legal career, Ms. Wald worked in the government and political sphere, including positions at UCSF Medical Center, interning for a San Francisco Board Supervisor, and interning at the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office.
Ms. Wald enjoys her time as a volunteer for San Mateo County Legal Aid, San Mateo Superior Court’s weekly Family Law Status Conference calendar and San Mateo County Lawyers in The Library. Ms. Wald is also an active member of the San Mateo County Bar Association.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Workers' Compensation
- San Francisco Law School, San Francisco, California
- Juris Doctorate - 2014
- Honors: Student of the Year, 2011-2013
- Honors: Witkin Award in Civil Procedure, 2012
- Honors: Best Overall Scores Award, Tyler Moot Court, 2013
- San Francisco State University
- Honors: Dean's List
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of California, Member
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Barristers Section, President (2020)
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Diversity Committee, Chair (2020) (2021)
- California Applicant Attorney Association, Member
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Women Lawyers Foundation, Board Member
Past Employment Positions
- UCSF Medical Center, Analyst
- San Francisco Board of Supervisors, Intern - (Fiona Ma)
- San Francisco District Attorney’s Office, Intern
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer, San Mateo County Legal Aid
- Volunteer, San Mateo Superior Court’s weekly Family Law Status Conference
- Volunteer, San Mateo County Lawyers in The Library